trend 2019... buy what you like, love and use, let go of what you don't

I am still loving the trend in interiors right now, and nothing much has changed in my predictions from last year.  Looking back I think I got it spot on and they are worth a look this year too.  The only change I see this year is that notes of mustard and blush will be changed for terracotta and rust, and greens have moved from sage to khaki.


The light filled, pared back spaces of the Australian & Californian styles is still growing.  This look is far less monochrome than the Scandi style of two years ago,  and I personally love the life that adding texture and colour gives to these spaces.

Velvet furniture is still here but I think we will start to see a move to less formal linen slip cover pieces.  Don't get me wrong I am still loving velvet and intend replacing my scatter pillows with a gorgeous gold green velvet I spotted last year.

Directors chairs, or sling chairs, will never go out of style and look wonderful with this look.  Wicker and brass, or other brushed metals, are here for the year at least.  

Two trends I am really not sure about are fireclay style tiles and terrazzo.   Don't get me wrong I think they look fabulous (see a really great example here) but I am not sure about their longevity.  I would do them in a mid century home for sure, but not sure about in other style of homes where they may date quickly.  Terrazzo you can at least do in a neutral shade and I like the texture, but I would be careful where and how it is used.

There is a distinct move towards the bespoke, the upcycled, the preloved.  Choosing items you will love longer term is good for your wallet and the environment, and people are buying quality items, and pieces that can be used in different rooms over the years.  Mixed with budget buys this creates an individual style that doesn't look store bought.

As always: buy what you like, love and use, let go of what you don't, and it will all work out.  

Mood board: (from top left) Kitchen by Park and Oak Designdetail of nursery by Sarah Herman Samuel, khaki ottoman and kenza rug in my home, terrazzo & brass pulls, entrance by Park and Oak Design

No comments

I love all your comments so let me know what you are thinking if you have a moment.