art deco...the block 16

Well the room reveals were far better on The Block last night.  I do think the Art Deco feel they are stipulating is rather hard on the contestants.  It is a very hard  style to pull off on a modest budget and tight time lines.  It is also a hard style to make contemporary.  I really battled to find inspiration, just like they have, but did find a few rooms and pieces that I would turn to if I had to pull off this style.
By coincidence it seems that almost all the items come from either West Elm or Pottery Barn.  It is also mostly brass, which is what the stores have right now, but I would definitely mix in some dark lacquered furniture.

Clockwise from top: faceted mirror, living room, decadence rug, arm chair, side table
I love the design on the mirror doors.  Almost like a giant architectural window in the room.  And I do love the velvet chair with hints of brass.

Love the grey curtains which soften up this space.  Swap out the Marilyn photo for a black and white architectural photo and I think this space is onto being a winner.  It is a pretty formal space with all the chrome, mirror and black lacquer.
Clockwise from top: art deco inspired room, bar collection (I love love love these), desk or dining table, decadence rug

I think the trick may be a soft metallic influence, mirrors and velvet or sheer fabrics - lots of lustre.  

No comments

I love all your comments so let me know what you are thinking if you have a moment.